Chef Charlie Vollmar's take on this classic French dish will transport you to the rustic countryside of Burgundy with just a few ingredients from your pantry. The rich and complex flavors also make it a great dish to serve on special occasions.
The Necessary Ingredients
For the Chicken Marinade
4 Bone-In, Skin-On chicken thighs
2-3 tsp of smoked paprika
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
For the Sauce
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, cut into a 1/4-inch dice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup chicken stock
4 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced Italian flat-leaf parsley
How to Put It All Together
Marinade the Chicken
1) Trim excess skin around chicken thighs
2) Starting with the skin side down, sprinkle paprika, kosher salt and black pepper onto the chicken thighs. Flip to skin side and repeat. Once completed, leave chicken thighs is a cool area to marinade. Approximately 20 - 30 mins
Prepare Sauce and Chicken
1) Start by preheating oven to 400 F
2) In a medium skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat, and sauté the chicken pieces until lightly colored. Transfer the chicken pieces to a plate and set aside.
3) Add the onions and sauté for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the wine; scraping any brown bits. Add the cream, mustard, chicken stock and half of the cheese. Stir until smooth and add the chicken pieces, skin-side up, back to the pan. Cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4) Remove the lid, top chicken with the remaining cheese, turn on the broiler to HIGH and brown the cheese and chicken, 5 – 6 minutes.
5) Top with minced parsley. Serve immediately with mashed new potatoes and roasted asparagus. (Search New Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Asparagus for recipe and instructions).
Total Estimate Cooking Time: 1 hour
Hey there! Want more chef inspired recipes using ingredients that you already have on hand?